(NEWSER) – Kidnapped California teen Hannah Anderson's ordeal is over, but in other ways it has just begun. "The healing process will be slow," said father Brett Anderson at a press conference yesterday. "She has been through a tremendous, horrific ordeal." He was joined by San Diego County Sheriff Bill Gore, who shared this wrenching detail: The 16-year-old didn't know her mother and brother had been killed until after her rescue; she was told while in the hospital, reports the Los Angeles Times. (The Times shares Gore's theory: that Hannah was kept in an area of DiMaggio's property where she wouldn't have observed their murders.) Other details from the press conference:
- James DiMaggio fired at FBI agents—at least once, possibly twice—using his rifle before they killed him.
- Gore says that Hannah made it "very clear" in interviews with police that she is "a victim in every sense of the word."
- Gore also said, without elaboration, that the crime was "not spur of the moment."
More stories from Newser:
- ObamaCare Rollout Hits Another Big Bump
- Father Kills Son, Self During Supervised Visitation
- Hillary Slams Voter ID Laws